Noah Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language
1. (a.) Pertaining to a city or state, or to a citizen in his relations to his fellow citizens or to the state; within the city or state.
2. (a.) Subject to government; reduced to order; civilized; not barbarous; -- said of the community.
3. (a.) Performing the duties of a citizen; obedient to government; -- said of an individual.
4. (a.) Having the manners of one dwelling in a city, as opposed to those of savages or rustics; polite; courteous; complaisant; affable.
5. (a.) Pertaining to civic life and affairs, in distinction from military, ecclesiastical, or official state.
6. (a.) Relating to rights and remedies sought by action or suit distinct from criminal proceedings.