Noah Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language
1. (n.) Interchange of opinions; mutual advising; consultation.
2. (n.) Examination of consequences; exercise of deliberate judgment; prudence.
3. (n.) Result of consultation; advice; instruction.
4. (n.) Deliberate purpose; design; intent; scheme; plan.
5. (n.) A secret opinion or purpose; a private matter.
6. (n.) One who gives advice, especially in legal matters; one professionally engaged in the trial or management of a cause in court; also, collectively, the legal advocates united in the management of a case; as, the defendant has able counsel.
7. (v. t.) To give advice to; to advice, admonish, or instruct, as a person.
8. (v. t.) To advise or recommend, as an act or course.