Noah Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language
1. (n.) Cessation of supply, or total defect; a failing; deficiency; as, failure of rain; failure of crops.
2. (n.) Omission; nonperformance; as, the failure to keep a promise.
3. (n.) Want of success; the state of having failed.
4. (n.) Decay, or defect from decay; deterioration; as, the failure of memory or of sight.
5. (n.) A becoming insolvent; bankruptcy; suspension of payment; as, failure in business.
6. (n.) A failing; a slight fault.