Noah Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language
1. (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Head.
2. (n.) The act or state of one who, or that which, heads; formation of a head.
3. (n.) That which stands at the head; title; as, the heading of a paper.
4. (n.) Material for the heads of casks, barrels, etc.
5. (n.) A gallery, drift, or adit in a mine; also, the end of a drift or gallery; the vein above a drift.
6. (n.) The extension of a line ruffling above the line of stitch.
7. (n.) That end of a stone or brick which is presented outward.