Noah Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language
1. (a.) Consisting of matter; physical; as, material evidence; material possessions.
2. (a.) Hence: Pertaining to, or affecting, the physical nature of man, as distinguished from the mental or moral nature; relating to the bodily wants, interests, and comforts.
3. (a.) of solid or weighty character; not insubstantial; of consequence; not be dispensed with; important.
4. (a.) Pertaining to the matter, as opposed to the form, of a thing. See Matter.
5. (n.) The substance or matter of which anything is made or may be made.
6. (v. t.) To form from matter; to materialize.