Noah Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language
1. (a.) Of or pertaining to the people; belonging to the people; relating to, or affecting, a nation, state, or community; -- opposed to private; as, the public treasury.
2. (a.) Open to the knowledge or view of all; general; common; notorious; as, public report; public scandal.
3. (a.) Open to common or general use; as, a public road; a public house.
4. (n.) The general body of mankind, or of a nation, state, or community; the people, indefinitely; as, the American public; also, a particular body or aggregation of people; as, an author's public.
5. (n.) A public house; an inn.