Noah Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language
1. (v. t.) To render an equivalent to, for service, loss, etc.; to requite; to remunerate; to compensate.
2. (v. t.) To return an equivalent for; to give compensation for; to atone for; to pay for.
3. (v. t.) To give in return; to pay back; to pay, as something earned or deserved.
4. (v. i.) To give recompense; to make amends or requital.
5. (n.) An equivalent returned for anything done, suffered, or given; compensation; requital; suitable return.