Noah Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language
1. (n.) That which covers or defends from injury or annoyance; a protection; a screen.
2. (n.) One who protects; a guardian; a defender.
3. (n.) The state of being covered and protected; protection; security.
4. (v. t.) To be a shelter for; to provide with a shelter; to cover from injury or annoyance; to shield; to protect.
5. (v. t.) To screen or cover from notice; to disguise.
6. (v. t.) To betake to cover, or to a safe place; -- used reflexively.
7. (v. i.) To take shelter.